This classic recipe comes to us courtesy of Dominic Bryant, the Head Chef at The Old Rydon Inn in Kingsteignton.
A simple but very tasty BBQ sauce that goes down a treat at the restaurant. Can be used cold as a marinade or warm as an addition to Pulled Pork or any meat dish to give heat and flavour. Will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for a month. Fab on burgers- a bit spicy though! If you don’t like the heat remove the hot sauce from the ingredients.
Preparation time: less than 10 mins
Cooking time: less than 10 – 20 mins
• 1 tsp chilli powder
• ½ tsp black pepper
• ½ tsp salt
• 16 tbsp Ketchup
• 4 tbsp mustard
• 4 tbsp Cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
• 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• Juice of one lemon
• 4 tbsp Brown sauce
• 7 tbsp dark brown sugar
• 2 tbsp honey
• ½ tsp hot sauce (i.e Sriracha or tabasco)
• 10ml veg oil
• 1 diced onion
• 2 garlic cloves
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, frying until soft and golden, take care not to burn the onion as it will make the sauce bitter. Add the garlic and fry until soft.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients in no particular order and bring to the boil.
3. Allow the mixture to cool slightly and then blend to a smooth consistency.