This Red cabbage coleslaw is normally served with lunchtime baguettes at the The Old Rydon in Kingsteignton, this recipe comes courtesy of their head chef Dominic Bryant.
Preparation time: less than 10 mins
Serves: Serve as a side dish or part of a summery salad.
• 1 small red cabbage or ½ large
• 1 large carrot peeled and julienned (thinly sliced)
• 1 red onion peeled
• 100g soft brown sugar
• A good pinch of salt and black pepper
• The zest and juice of ½ orange
• 100ml red wine vinegar
• 80ml vegetable oil or rape seed oil
1. Thinly slice the cabbage and the onion. Ideally use a food processor or mandolin to keep the pieces nice and even.
2. Turn the cabbage and onion into a bowl and mix in the carrot.
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and then add to the bowl and combine thoroughly.