Slow Cooked Cola Ham
Unleash the smell of Christmas on your kitchen with this slow cooker gammon recipe. The cola adds a delicious sweet and treacly flavour which balances with the saltiness of the ham.
Easy |6 hrs 10mins | Serves 6-8
1.5-1.8kg unsmoked boneless gammon joint
2l cola (not diet)
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 onion, peeled and quartered
1 stick celery, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
½ tbsp peppercorns
1 bay leaf
- Turn slow cooker on to medium and place the gammon in and cover with the cola.
Add 1 chopped carrot, 1 chopped celery stick, 1 quartered onion,1 cinnamon stick, ½ tbsp peppercorns and 1 bay leaf to the slow cooker.
- Keep the gammon covered whilst cooking- top with boiling water if necessary. Cook for 5 ½ hours on low until the ham is tender but still holding shape.
- Pour the liquid away, let the ham cool. Heat the oven to 170C fan/ 190C / gas 5.
- Place the ham in a roasting tin, cut away the skin leaving just a layer of fat. Score the fat in a criss-cross.
- Mix the maple syrup, vinegar, mustard and ground cloves/ 5 spice in a jug. Pour half of the mixture over the fat and roast in the oven. After 15 mins, pour over the rest of the mixture then put back for 30 mins.
- Take the gammon out of the oven and allow to rest for 10 mins, then spoon any excess glaze over the top.
Keep up-to-date with The Meat Box Company Newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter to get news and special offers in your inbox.