The perfect Boxing Day Brunch delight to add to your festive menu. This hassle-free recipe combines all your Christmas leftovers.
Easy | 40mins | Makes 6-8 patties
200g leftover roast potatoes, finely chopped
150g leftover cooked carrots or swede, finely chopped
150g leftover cooked Brussels sprouts, finely sliced
100g leftover cooked stuffing, finely chopped or crumbled
50g leftover cooked cabbage
1 garlic clove, grated
1 tsp grated ginger
splash of Tabasco
100g leftover cooked sausages, finely chopped
100g leftover roast turkey meat, shredded or finely chopped
50g cheese, grated (any kind)
2 tbsp bread sauce or mayonnaise
1 tbsp chopped herbs (coriander, parsley or chives all work well)
3 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp semolina flour (or use an extra 2 tbsp plain flour)
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp rapeseed oil or leftover turkey drippings, plus extra for moulding
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl using a potato masher or fork. Add the carrots/ swede, sprouts and stuffing and mash together. Stir in the cabbage and season. Stir in the garlic, tabasco, ginger, sausages, turkey, cheese and bread sauce/mayo and combine together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour
- Lightly oil hands and shape the patties from the mixture (add more bread sauce if just crumbling). Lightly dust with flour and flatten a little.
- The mixture should result in 6-8 patties. Heat the oils in a heavy bottomed pan over a medium heat. Fry the patties for 2-3 mins until they have a golden crust, before flipping over and continuing on the other side for a few minutes.
- Transfer the fried patties to a baking tray and place in the oven for 5 mins until crispy and golden on the outside.