Barbecue Belly Pork
A taste sensation, our belly pork takes no time to cook on a sizzling barbecue, however, for a full on flavour experience, prepare before hand and leave to marinate overnight for truly aromatic flavours and lots of perfect yummy crackling.
Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins
Serves: Serves 4-6
• 1.5kg/3lb5oz belly of pork
• 3 tbsp sea salt
• 2 star anise, ground
• 1 large orange, zest only
• 2 fresh bay leaves
• 8 garlic cloves
• 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
• ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
• 200ml/7fl oz olive oil
• 2 tbsp sesame oil
1. Make sure you or your butcher score the pork skin well (using a small, sharp kitchen knife or a clean DIY knife) – nice fine scores make better crackling. Mix the salt, ground star anise and the orange zest together and rub well into the skin, making sure the salt goes into all the cuts of the pork rind.
2. Using a mini-blender or a pestle and mortar, add the bay leaves, garlic, Szechuan peppercorns, five spice and blend to a paste, then slowly add the olive oil while mixing.
3. Leave the pork to dry overnight in the fridge; do not cover as you want it to dry.
4. Heat a barbecue or griddle and slice the pork into thin slices. Place the pork slices onto the hot griddle or barbeque and brush with the marinade. Cook each side for a few minutes, or until cooked through and the skin is crisp.
Keep up-to-date with The Meat Box Company Newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter to get news and special offers in your inbox.