Forget the shops – hear is an easy recipe you can adapt and play with, simply a perfect accompaniment for any barbecue – slather it on our amazing sausages, our tasty chicken or our range of meaty burgers. Delicious.
Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: less than 10 mins
Serves: Makes ½pint
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• olive oil
• 1 red chilli, finely chopped
• 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
• 55g/2oz dark brown sugar
• 50ml/1¾fl oz dark soy sauce
• 300ml/10fl oz tomato ketchup
• salt and pepper
1. Fry the onion and garlic in olive oil with the chilli, fennel seeds and sugar.
2. Add the soy sauce and ketchup and season with salt and pepper.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes to combine the flavours. Use as a dip or to coat spare ribs, chicken or sausages.