Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 90 mins
• 1.2kg Venison haunch, cut into 1inch cubes
• 2 tbsp Sunflower oil
• 5g Fresh rosemary, diced fine
• 300g Silver skin onions
• 300g Red onions, medium diced
• 250g Leeks, medium diced
• 350g Carrots, thickly sliced on the oblique
• 40g Garlic, chopped fine
• 100g Red currant jelly
• 300ml Full bodied red wine
• 700ml Water mixed with 65g Bisto granules
• 100g Tomato puree
• 30g Plain flour
• 1tbsp Chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
• Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Pre heat the oven to 140c/145c fan assisted and cook for 1 ½ hours.
2. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add the venison in batches and cook over a high heat until browned.
3. Lift out the venison with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Add the onions, garlic, leeks, celery and carrots and cook over a high heat stirring occasionally or 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
5. Add the flour and cook stirring for 1 minute the add the red wine and cook for another minute.
6. Add the tomato puree and Bisto stock with the finely chopped rosemary.
7. Bring to the boil, add the red currant jelly and stir until dissolved.
8. Return the meat to the sauce pan and then pour out onto a gastro tray, cover with a lid and cook in a fan assisted oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
9. Remove from the oven and serve with the sweet potato mash.
Sweet Potato Mash
• 750g Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 250g Potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 60g Unsalted butter
• 60ml Milk
• Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Boil the sweet potato and other potato in two separate pans until soft.
2. Drain and mash together with the butter and milk.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.