This is another recipe from Dominic Bryant, head chef at the The Old Rydon in Kingsteignton.
‘Some customers have queried what I would do with chicken mince. Well my family and I love it as an alternative for beef and pork mince. We always feel we are eating better by using chicken mince. Even though the Meatbox Chicken is a tasty chicken I do find that chicken is a great vehicle for other flavours. The aroma of these Koftas is amazing, your whole family will love them. Serve with a simple salad and a mint yogurt. If you want something more substantial put them in a wrap or turn them into meat balls or a tasty burger.’
A real healthy option to minced beef, remember chicken mince is very versatile and whilst it may seem a little sticky it can be dried with a few breadcrumbs and used as an alternative to beef mince to make all different yummy meals. Go on give it a go and enjoy.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: Approx 8 mins
- 500g Minced Chicken defrosted
- 1 onion finely diced or grated
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced or grated
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried coriander or use fresh
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger or dried ground could be used
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint sliced Or a tsp mint sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh chilli to taste
- optional Bamboo or metal skewers
1. Gather and prepare all ingredients – diced onion, grated garlic, ginger etc.
2. Place minced chicken and all other ingredients into a mixing bowl.
3. Mix all ingredients together either with clean hand or a spoon.
4. Take a nice amount of mix in your hand and form a sausage shape around your skewer, be gentle as this meat will easily come away from skewer until it is cooked, best not to play with it too much.
5. Warm a pan or skillet and place a small amount of oil in the pan. Gently place skewer in the pan and seal the kebab on one side. Leave for approximately 2 minutes then gently turn and repeat this until fully sealed and cooked through. This should take approximately 6/8 minutes depending on thickness.
6. If unsure about the kofta being cooked place in a warmed oven for 5 minutes to make sure they are fully cooked then serve.
Serve simply with a salad and mint yogurt . If you want something more substantial, put them in a wrap or turn them into meat balls or a tasty burger. A real healthy option to minced beef, remember chicken mince is very versatile and can be dried with a few breadcrumbs and used as an alternative to beef mince to make all different yummy meals. Give it a go and enjoy.