2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
500g sausagemeat or skinned sausages
grated zest of 1 lemon
100g fresh white breadcrumbs
85g ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
50g chestnut, canned or vacuum-packed, chopped
2 tsp chopped fresh or 1 tsp dried thyme
100g cranberries, fresh or frozen
500g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
500g pack ready-made shortcrust pastry
beaten egg, to glaze
1. heat the oven to 70C fan/ 180C/ gas 5. Heat 1 tbsp of oil and the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry for 5 mins/ until softened. Leave to cool slightly. Add sausage meat, breadcrumbs, apricots, chestnuts, lemon zest and thyme to a bowl. Add in the onions and cranberries and combine with your hands, flavour with salt and pepper.
2. Cut the chicken breast in to 3 fillets lengthways and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the fillets until browned- around 6-8 mins.
3. Line a 20-23 springform or deep loose-based tart tin with two thirds of the pastry.
4. Press in half of the sausage meat, add the chicken pieces in one flat layer and cover with the rest of the sausage meat mixture, pressing lightly.
5. Roll out the rest of the pastry. Brush the edges of the pastry with a beaten egg and cover with a pastry top. Brush the egg around the top f the pie. Roll out trimmings to create a shape/ pattern for the top of the pie, brush on top with the egg.
6. Place the tin on a baking sheet then cook for 50-60 mins. Take out and cool in the tin for 15 mins before removing and leaving to cool completely.
Keep up-to-date with The Meat Box Company Newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter to get news and special offers in your inbox.